Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Courage to Live

So often, I find myself caught up in the tedium of life. Another load of laundry, another sink full of dishes. Did my kids get their schoolwork done? Did I remember to pay the electric bill? I wish I had enough money to remodel my kitchen, or I wish I had more time to exercise.

We go along doing the same old thing, never suspecting that it could all fall apart in the blink of an eye.

About a month ago, that blink happened to my sister and her family. They were trying to decide what color pavers to put in their garden. Should they match the stained concrete or the brick? Suddenly, none of that mattered as my brother-in-law started staggering and drooling out of the side of his mouth. Jen and the boys started laughing, thinking he was playing around. But as fear filled his eyes, she knew it was serious. At only 31 years old, Darrel was having a massive stroke.

The irony was that the following day was the 9 year anniversary of Jen's diagnosis with a brain tumor. Her boys had almost lost her, and now they could lose their dad.

Do I have the courage to get up and live every day as if it were my last? Do I take the opportunity, no matter how small, to savor life? Am I moving down the path that God has set before me, or do I merely sit and complain about the bumps, the holes, and how bad my feet hurt?


It isn't always easy to see beyond ourselves. Inside, we can be safe and in control. But if we are always looking in, we will miss the glory of the world around us. Take it in, embrace it, and have the courage to...

Keep it in perspective.

By the way, Darrel is doing very well, and is expected to make a full recovery within six months.

2 comments:

Tereasa said...

Wow! Short and sweet, but a very strong point!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I remember you and hear about you from Sendy. I can't believe your little guy is eleven now. I feel so old!

Now we have something besides my sister in common. Our daughter has some special needs. Perhaps we can be an enouragement to each other!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Life on hearth is like you have described. One day we are here and the next we are not. It is that concept that makes me keep eternity in my heart.

Remember Eccl 3:11?

"He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end."

I discovered something shocking not long ago. The verse literally says, "He had made everything beautiful in his time, also he hath set ETERNITY in their heart WITHOUT WHICH no man can find out the work of God from the beginning to the end."

There is so much in that verse...

God bless you dear sister to keep eternity in your heart.

Love,

BEth